Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pucha Pucon eres Bakan! (Darn Pucon you're so cool!!)

Hey everyone I'm writing to you after a wonderful weekend in a tiny town called Pucon! This town is kind of in the middle of the south of Chile (12 hours from Vina) and I'm renaming it Chile's Crested Butte! It's tiny and offers any sort of outdoor activity you can imagine! We left Thursday night in a bus that I almost froze to death on, but knew if I just went to sleep I would be in Pucon in 12 hours. We got to Pucon, settled into our wonderful Cabanas for the weekend (fireplace, kitchen, three bedrooms, two bath, 8 awesome girls= such an awesome cabana). Friday was a tour day with our group so we got settled, went to the supermarket, and then were on our way for the day.

We started the tour visiting a Mapuche community (indigenous group of the South of Chile) where we learned about how they live especially now in such a modern world. They mainly make all of their food they eat, but are slowly loosing their language. This made me sad because I believe language is such a distinct part of a culture and for it to die out is really unfortunate. Kids are now going to school in the community and learning there rather than the real Mapuche ways and their language. We actually got to get a taste of the food they make... delicious! It consisted of a mealy bread, sopapillas with a marmalade, hard boiled eggs, and amazing tea! So awesome and we ate all of it because it's impolite to say no to more food.

Afterwards we visited a lot of waterfalls including a huge one that soaked us when we got close to it. So pretty! One of the waterfalls only 6 kaykers have successfully gone off it (the first one unfortunately died). After the waterfalls we went to Lago Caburgua which is full of rain water. There is only a river that lets the water out! It was incredibly full because two days before we got there it absolutely poured! At the lake you can also see the 2nd most active volcano in South America! We were suppose to climb the volcano the next day but I'll get to that story in a minute. After the lake we went to a wonderful hot springs where we spent around 2 hours relaxing, jumping in the river, and looking at our beautiful surroundings. So wonderful and amazing on the body!

So the next day we woke up at 6 am to climb Volcan Villarica which is the 2nd most active volcano in South America. Our guide the day before told us that we could know up to 3 minutes or 3 seconds before it would erupt!! Crazy! So we got all out gear on that the tour company provided for us and hopped in the bus. On the way up, the road started to get worse and worse because it was absolutely dumping snow... I'm talking huge Colorado Flakes! Seeing these flakes amazingly converted my body immediately to winter mode and I got so excited to go home to see Colorado and the winter. Anyway we finally made it to the top after skidding out a couple of time. My friend Amelie and I were giving each other nervous looks... the van needed chains mostly likely. At the top we stood looking at the base area of Ski Pucon and there was sooooo much snow. After conversing for a while the guides said that we wouldn't make it to the top and the most we could do was trek around and maybe make it to the middle. So we played in the snow awhile and then turned around and went back to Pucon. I just wanted to ditch the tour agency, grab my teleskis, and skin up the volcano to make powder turns! It was that amazing!

Once back in Pucon we decided to go rafting almost immediately. I was pumped because 1. I love rafting and have always thought about becoming a guide and 2. I've heard that the rivers in Chile are awesome to raft! We got gear number two for the day and headed out with our guide Max (super cute chilean). On the river I asked our guide if we could try surfing a wave. He laughed and with a gleam in his eye agreed! We once at the rapid he told us on his command to jump to the front of the boat. Well once all of us where in the front of the boat I could feel the boat rising up and up and the water was starting the lap over my head! Next thing I know I'm doing a flip off the boat into the river along with everyone else! haha First time swimming and it's in Chile! The guide got us all in the boat and everything was fine, but man did I get an adrenaline rush! haha We ended the trip with grins on our faces because these rapids weren't anything like the rapids I've rafted before in Colorado! Also we got Pisco Sour (Chile's drink that's super sweet) which warmed us right up! I then spent the rest of the day in front of the fire in our cabana talking with two amazing girls, one of which is Amelie (Am a lee) my twin whom I learn that we have more and more in common every time I talk to her! I would consider her one of my best friends down here along with Jeannie and Celine.... I can't wait to go to Patagonia with Amelie.

The next day we slept in, made an amazing breakfast consisting of eggs sandwiches, avocado, cheese, lettuce, and juice!! We lounged around and then got ourselves out the door to walk around town and see the lake Villarica that borders Pucon. It was absolutely beautiful and just made me fall in love with Pucon. If I ever get the chance to move back to Chile it'll be to live in Pucon! We were so relaxed and didn't want to leave!! After returning back to our cabanas after shopping and german cake we walked in the door to our cabin making dinner. We had a family dinner around our table after saying thanks to such a wonderful group of girls! Afterwards we were silly and made a cheer that said "Cabin 8 we eat great!" It was awesome and we did eat great that weekend!

Well now I'm finally back in Vina thankfully because the bus was breaking down a bit on the trip home! I got home and realized that I really needed to go to the doctor to nip this cold I have before I venture off into Patagonia. Turns out I have a sinus infection and I feel so sick. I have antibiotics now so hopefully in the next few days I'll be on my way to recovery! Traveling always seems to make my body break down and get sick. I'm ready to get out of this country if it means I'm going to stop being sick and have tons of mystery bites all over my body (my suspicions are bed bugs).

Time is really dwindling now. I have only 16 days left in my host house and then I'm off to Patagonia with Amelie, Straten, and Taylor! Should be a blast expecially since I'll be spending my 21st birthday at the farthest tip of South America! That's going to be a birthday I'll never forget! So now I'm just trying to live up the time I have left here while trying to finish up school and get over this sickness! I have a lot to get done in the next two weekends including a seven page paper in Spanish and a oral presentation! But once it's over I can celebrate the Thanksgiving our program is putting on for us, my birthday/ going away party the next day, and then Patagonia! So ya I'll see you all in about 4 weeks!! WOW!!

1 comment:

  1. Amelie this sounds amazing! I am totally going to Pucon :) Sending my Love!

    ReplyDelete