Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mi amor con las olas (My love with the waves)

I'm falling in love with.... the ocean!! I've only seen the ocean a few times in my short lifetime so living and being able to look out my window (on clear days) and seeing the ocean everyday is amazing! I've had a few occasions to be able to visit and walk around the beaches and man it's so cool!

Both days I've been to the beach it's been cold and sort of rainy! The first day we went to Renaca and it was freezing! But being from the US and very crazy some people took off their shoes and ran around in the water! I didn't do this because I didn't have a jacket to begin with so I didn't want to get even more cold. We even had a boy that was dared to run into the water with only his boxers on... he only got his feet wet but did take all his clothes off! You can only imagine the looks we were given! The second day we went to Con Con which is about 30 minutes from our house. Our house brother Juan took us there because he had various errands to run and we had two previous days of just sitting inside because the weather wasn't the best. Con Con is know for it's comida or food named Empanadas which are sort of like calzones but with seafood and cheese or meat and cheese. They were amazing! We lucked out of not getting nailed by the rain but the storm was coming in so the waves were huge! We watched the surfers and the water crash onto the beach. It was very relaxing! Jeannie and I needed to get some air after being stuck in smoggy, busy cities so it was perfect! I'm excited to visit Con Con once it starts getting warm to lay out and walk the beach that stretches miles and miles!

However.... in the reality of things, today was our first day of school! I felt like I was a freshman again and I didn't know want I was doing with myself! I only had two classes today that started at two! Super awesome! Communications and Culture Class will be great because there are only 13 of us in the class and we'll be learning all about the Chilean way, history, politics because the elections are coming up in November, social problems, and culture with Chilean families! I'm very excited because it should cover just about everything I want to learn about Chileans! My grammar class is going to be hard because they put me in an advanced level. I'm nervous about it but it's going to be good because I need to be pushed with grammar! I've always been able to figure out grammar easily, but this class will look at grammar in a different manner: each zones or manners of speaking Spanish such as Spain, the US, Mexico, etc. It's interesting the groupings we were talking about today and how different areas of Latin American have very similar dialects. For example my teacher grouped Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay but saying that Argentina and Uruguay talk pretty much the same and that Paraguay is a tired Argentinian! I just thought that was pretty funny! It's going to be a good class because we're looking at grammer in a different manner than all of us are use to in the class room! Tomorrow I have my writing class and conversation again! Should be exciting!

For this weekend... Jeannie and I are cooking up a plan of venturing into the mountains to seek one of the things we came here for.... SKIING!! We're hoping for a fun weekend at the ski area of Portillo and to see my friend Drew Holbrook who is working there for the season. We're going with all girls from Colorado and it's going to be so much fun as long as we get a place to stay and a bus to get there! (look for pictures posted on facebook). I hope this post finds all of you in good health and enjoying the last of summer before school begins again for you! Brazos y besos! Hugs and Kisses! Chao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment