Thursday, August 20, 2009

Un Poco de Cultura: A little bit of Culture

So today I'm writing to give you a lesson on Chilean Culture and what it's like to live a day in Chile! Ok.... Chile for one loves food... what country doesn't? But Chile lives and breathes around food. Chileans love their bread down here! It's served at every meal, but especially at breakfast and Once or what they call dinner down here. There are tons of different types of bread (way more than the US) and lots of things on the table to put on the bread such as marmalades, meats, cheeses, butters, palta (avocado), salsas, manjar (which is amazing dulce de leche equivalent here), etc... you get the picture... the options are endless! Lunch is the most important meal of the day here because if you don't eat it, you'll starve the rest of the day pretty much. Usually there is a soup or sopa, a large plate of rice or potatoes (mashed usually or pureed), and then some type of meat... usually chicken because Chileans don't eat a whole lot of red meat... That's Argentina. Once is not at once (11 pm) but usually around 8 or 9 pm and is usually just tea and bread again with all the toppings. However sometimes we'll get other things such as sopapillas or the other night we had McDonalds! Ya this company is everywhere! Part of Chile's culture is also their Empanadas which are amazing and I love them! They are basically a type of calzone that usually has some type of seafood or meat inside along with cheese! I thought it was hilarious that McDonalds sells empanadas here and they're awesome, which is probably not the best thing. I learn a different type of plato or plate each day! However I need to start writing down names because I don't understand what they're saying most of the time!

As for daily life here.... nine o'clock in our house is early... I have to tip-toe around to not wake anyone up! Most people (or maybe it's just my family) don't start their day until after lunch, which is around 2! The streets are so busy that sometimes I feel like I'm in New York or something trying to weed my way through the crowds! As I've mentioned before the bus drivers, taxi drivers, and normal drivers all drive with reckless abandon! Every time I get in a bus here I feel like I'm going to die because there are so many cases where I think they're going to hit the car next to them or one in front of them. Pedestrians DO NOT have the right a way! haha I learned that one the hard way... and all drivers use their horns regularly. If they don't use them it's like a sin or something!

There are markets everywhere to buy vegetables, fruits of all kind, fish, meats, clothing (used or maybe new maybe), hardware tools, flowers, herbs, shoes piled into a bin so it's a treasure hunt to find the right pair... haven't ventured into that one yet. Pretty much anything you need is in this market! It's fun to walk around to see everything, but also very dangerous for pickpocketing!

I can't think of much else right now.... there is a lot going on down here and I learn more about the culture everyday especially with my culture and communication class (right now we're learning all about the bus systems: how they work, all the workers involved in them, ect...) I hope this post finds everyone in good health! Abrazos y Besitos! Chao Chao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment