Monday, September 28, 2009

Looking back on September


Hello to all! I've decided to write a post looking back on September and in general my stay here so far! September was great and it just flew by especially since I was gone for a whole week up north! Overall September brought more memories, more Spanish words to learn (everyday I learn more and more words), more Chileans to meet, and traditions to experience! Especially with the traditions, September is a big month for Chile in general! The 18th of September is Chile's independence day from Spain! We experienced all the traditions that go along with it such as Anticuchos or shishkabobs of different types of meat and the national dance of Chile which is the Cueca. The Cueca is a mating dance about chickens and roosters. The girl has a panuelo or scarf that she dances with while the man beats his boots on the ground making pounding sounds and clicks his spurs on his boots. You can kind of see that they're both trying to get the other one to notice what they look like and how they dance! It's super fun! Around the 18th of September there are things called Las Fondas which are basically carnivals with food, dancing, games, and things to buy. We didn't go to the one in San Pedro because there were a lot of drunk men walking around so it was a little dangerous. Also during September Chileans drink Chicha which is fermented juice of all types of flavors! I wasn't a huge fan of the taste. Finally, September brings out the kite flying! My dad would of loved seeing how many kids were out on the beaches or in the parks flying their kites! Having just got back from Afghanistan where it's also very popular to fly kites, he would have enjoyed that aspect of the Chilean culture.

Looking back on my two and a half months here in Chile, I've decided that I'm fluent in Spanish. My friend Ben made the comment that if you can hold a conversation and get your point across then you're fluent.... well I can do both of those so I would consider myself fluent which is really exciting to say. Of course I'm learning more and more everyday with my family, friends, and obviously my Spanish classes, but it's really exciting to say that I'm bilingual! I can only imagine what it's going to turn into in these next two months!

The weather is now moving into spring as we just passed the equinox so we're going to be able to start going to the beach more! It's weird now thinking that winter is approaching Colorado and I'm approaching summer! It's going to be a huge shock when I get off the plane in Denver! haha I'm enjoying the weather because I'm able to wear my chacos to feel the sun on my toes!

Well September was a good month and I'm excited what these next two months hold for me because everyday is an adventure in Chile! I'm starting to plan my big ending trip to Patagonia in December, but there is also the possibility of going to Buenos Aires with my best friend Celine! Vamos a ver! We will see where my life takes me down here! Love you all! Chao!

1 comment:

  1. I learned some more terminology in regards to the Fiestas Patrias reading this blog. And I LOVE the picture. Is the Cueca really about some chickens and roosters? That's fascinatingly disturbing.

    ReplyDelete